The Coalescing of the Christian Right with Apostolic Dominionism
It is not about FREEDOM, it is about DOMINION
Note to Herescope readers: What follows may be the most important article ever published by Discernment Ministries in its 21 year history. The first edition of the Discernment Newsletter, published in May 1990 began chronicling the activities of a group of men calling themselves "prophets" and "apostles," claiming to have extra-biblical revelation and calling to build an elite army to take over the Earth. This obscure cult infiltrated Pentecostal circles with its doctrines, but it wasn't until these "Kansas City Prophets," as they were called, connected with C. Peter Wagner from Fuller Theological Seminary, that they gained great momentum and helped to form the basis of what Wagner calls "The New Apostolic Reformation" (NAR). By 1991, in a little booklet titled Joel's Army by Jewel Grewe, she warned about the extreme Dominionist doctrines of these men. The heresies of this movement continued to gain momentum, especially through the evangelical television media. Nevertheless, most of the leaders were not readily recognized in the mainstream evangelical world.
This coming month all is about to change. These NAR leaders are having a great big "coming out party" on May Day in Washington, D.C. These New Order of the Latter Rain cult leaders are going to be standing prominently alongside Christian Right and Republican Right leaders in a great convergence that positions them front and center stage. Their esoteric Dominionist doctrines are rapidly becoming integrated into the entire purpose of this event, albeit cloaked in the rhetoric of "saving America" patriotism. And herein lies the problem. For under the guise of moral causes, these men intend to change more than the declining culture of America. They intend to build the Kingdom of God on Earth, "sphere" by "sphere," nation by nation.
The Plumbline, May/June 2010
In the last Plumbline, I detailed the vast pervasive reach of the New Apostolic Reformation (NAR) and its myriads of affiliates around the globe. From that directory of affiliates we saw a voracious appetite for interlocking organizations. At some point C. Peter Wagner (Convening Apostle of the International Coalition of Apostles) decided rapid church growth Dominion over society could be accomplished inside a democratic process and without establishing a full blown theocracy. Wagner and Company decided to employ the infiltration of churches, denominations (behind the scenes), expansion of cell churches, etc.
In addition Church Growth strategies employ the "reclaiming” of the 7 spheres of culture, now named by “revelation” The 7 Mountains of Culture, to take over business, government, media, arts, education family and religion. In Wagner's book The Church in the Marketplace, he points to the importance of hither-to-unknown Market Place Apostles. Indications are that he is well along and has millionaire "apostles" in place. He calls for a gigantic wealth transfer from the unrighteous to the righteous to finance Kingdom advance.
But Jesus left no doubt that "my kingdom is not of this world." Jesus alone can consummate the kingdom when He comes on the clouds in power and great glory. Until that time the kingdom grows in the hearts of men and women (wheat among tares). Neither does the Kingdom start and end with Uber-American patriotic Christian politics. Having lived overseas for decades, I know that Christians in other countries often look at American Christian politics in bewilderment. The kingdom of God is not identified with political might and control even as Jesus came not to be a political messiah in this first advent. Only Jesus the King can rule after His return, resurrection of believers, the final judgment and a new heavens and a new earth.
The Great Tea Party Convergence
Forays by NAR Apostles into the political scene in America have been until recently sparse. But Lou Engle, the bobble head (ala Jews and the Wailing Wall) Apostle, who has his own ministry to youth called "The Call," has been politically active in pro-life and homosexual issues. Some months ago he was able to pray for Gingrich and Huckabee with the laying on of apostolic hands. But very recently the political stars seem to have come suddenly into alignment.
The American political landscape has suddenly changed. A tumult is appearing in the land with the passage of health care reform. The Christian Right, with its years of courting political influence, is now poised to merge with the new Tea Party Movement. In times of crisis, natural or caused, things seem to happen faster and opportunities, that would take years, seem to happen in months. There is the scent of rebellion in the air. Martial Arts and Christian actor Chuck Norris has called for a Second American Revolution. Appearing on Mormon Glenn Beck's radio program Norris promised, if things get any worse, he will run for president of the Sovereign state of Texas. Surely this is only bluster, but it reveals the mood of many.
Some political conservatives are stoking a political upheaval, and they need recruits. Christian Right people have for years worked the political Right. Now the time seems right (pun intended). The New Apostolic Reformation, which has been called the largest protestant movement you have never heard of, apparently is ready for a "mating dance" with the Christian Right and by extension the Political Right. Surely, the NAR must see this as a match made in heaven which they hope could eventually lead to Dominion.
This "engagement party" will be held on the steps of the Lincoln monument: MAY DAY 2010: A Cry To God For A Nation In Distress, May 1, 2010. Janet Porter, a long time Christian shock radio personality with a turbo powered presentation and longtime political right contacts, is openly promoting Dominion. She has been quoted as saying: "our goal is to take dominion in every area and occupy until Jesus comes." She has not been bashful, and has consigned Christians, who voted for Obama, to Hell. I am sure glad I didn't vote for Obama.
Porter apparently is the matchmaker. She is the organizer of the MAY DAY event. For her years in the pro life struggle we can only commend her. But now she has assumed a role much greater than herself and the Kingdom of God, unless of course you see the Kingdom of God as a political kingdom. Janet Porter has taken the initiative to organize the May Day event. She has coaxed James Dobson to come out of semi retirement. A bevy of traditional evangelical leaders will now include three of the most prominent NAR Leadership: Chuck Pierce heir apparent (see the last Plumbline), Dutch Sheets who appears to be third in line to the throne (if no palace intrigue occurs), and Cindy Jacobs, (the most prominent of all the prophets and prophetess (Apostolic Council of Prophetic Elders). At the rally on the Lincoln monument the 7 Mountains Scheme of Dominion will be publicly prayed.
How was this all arranged? It appears that Janet Porter herself had the leading role. It took place at Cindy Jacobs "Convergence 2010: A Cry To Awaken A Nation.” All the NAR heavies were there, including Peter Wagner, Lance Wallnau (who only lectures on 7 Mountains Dominionism), Ed Silvoso, and Jim Garlow (recently appointed to Newt Gingrich's Renewing American Leadership (ReAL) organization). During the conference Porter prayed publicly that God would grant control of the media. She suggested taking over CBS and renaming it the Christian Broadcasting System. It appears that the media is the first of the Seven Mountains to be conquered for the kingdom. Where will this leave CBN, TNN and God TV which now reaches 212 countries? In passing, Cindy Jacobs did not disappoint the conference thrill seekers. She told of the Seraphim coming into her room and catching it on fire.
But, before the MAY DAY 2010 conference, a Freedom Federation Summit is scheduled for April 15, National Tax Day and hosted by Liberty University. This will be a more overtly political event. Many political operatives will be there, including our own Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty (Republican candidate wannabe), Governor Perry of Texas, the newly elected Governor of Virginia Bob McDonnell and Ken Cuccinelli (Virginia Attorney General attempting to block health care reform), Newt Gingrich, Gary Bauer, Neocon Frank Gaffney, Ann Graham Lotz, and of course Jonathan Falwell. But significantly in the list of dignitaries invited for the very first time are Lou Engle, Rick Joyner, and Lance Wallnau, an “apostle” promoting the 7 Mountains Dominion teaching. Also listed are Cindy Jacobs, Bishop Harry Jackson (touted as a "modern day Martin Luther King"), and Samuel Rodriguez, all NAR Apostles. Sarah Palin, having been prayed for by an Apostle named Thomas Muthee in Alaska regarding the 7 Mountains scheme, will be there in spirit.
All of this will give the NAR a respected place in Christian Right and national politics. But the agenda of NAR goes beyond social values and politics. This agenda is to infiltrate, to dominate. Samuel Rodriguez is an apostle who is also a passionate speaker/orator. He heads Wagner's National Christian Hispanic Leadership Council and has also been invited to the Freedom Federation Summit at Liberty University April 15. Speaking earlier at a Rick Joyner's Oak Initiative gathering at Fort Mill, with great emphasis, Rodriguez rallied the crowd asserting that the Oak Initiative, Joyner's political action group, is "the New Jerusalem and also Washington DC. We will mobilize for cultural reformation, not just engagement. We will not be held hostage by a donkey or an elephant." How better to express the Dominion Mandate.
Rachel Tabachnick commented:
"Imagine for a moment that a very large block of the evangelical world decided to reorganize into a hierarchy somewhat like the Roman Catholic Church with leaders (Apostles) in authority over each nation, region and city....
Peter Wagner has streamlined this ideology and named it the NAR. Wagner is the presiding apostle of the ICA which includes 40 nations and prayer warrior community networks in all 50 states and worldwide."
The merging of Christian Right Politics and Apostolic/Prophetic Dominionism is a giant leap forward for the Dominion Mandate they espouse. “Apostle” Jim Laffoon has written:
"Have you ever wondered why we have spent two thousand years reaching the the same nations OVER and OVER and OVER again? It's because we've only set the goal of reaching them, and not understanding what it is to rule them... Before it is all done, God will give us hundreds of Apostles and Prophets... for they will equip the greatest army of professionals... the world has ever seen.... We believe that the Kingdom of God can come upon the earth as it is in heaven... We believe we will produce a generation that will not only reach but rule. We are called to change history. We are called to produce a generation that will rule. I believe one day we will leave our children Nations and Regions and Continents."
"A wonderful and horrible thing is committed in the land; The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?" (Jeremiah 5:30-31)
1. Rev. Dr. Orrel Steinkamp, “Chuck Pierce, The Kabbalist Apostle and Heir Apparent for the NAR,” The Plumbline, Vol. 15, No. 2, March/April 2010, posted at: http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/orrel40.pdf
2. International Coalition of Apostles, http://www.apostlesnet.net/. For a brief overview, see these webpages: http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/allfalseapostles.html and http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/newapostolic.html
3. Dominion is a crucial concept to understand the significance of this article. See this paper for a broad overview of the modern streams of Dominion theology in the evangelical world: http://www.discernment-ministries.org/ChristianImperialism.htm Also read the 10-part series that begins here: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/07/as-in-heaven-so-on-earth.html. An analysis of the current Dominionism in the NAR written by an outside critic, "The 'Lions In the Pews' - Palin's Churches and the Third Wave," by Rachel Tabachnick, 9/24/08 is posted here: http://www.talk2action.org/story/2008/9/24/82239/9750/
4. To understand how they were able to infiltrate, read the series of articles at Herescope that begin here: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/02/networking-church.html. Also see this series: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/03/networking-for-army.html. For history see this: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/04/early-networks.html
5. See these posts for crucial background information: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/06/neo-kuyperian-spheres.html, http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/06/7-m-mandate.html, http://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/01/seven-spheres-of-influence.html, and http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/07/cultural-mandate.html
6. Marketplace transformation has been described as a “businessman with the unusual assignment to ‘change the economies of nation.” (Paul Cuny bio posted at http://www.elijahlist.com/words/display_word/8362. See these posts for an overview of this movement: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/02/new-breed-for-marketplace.html, http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/03/apostolic-transformation-worldview.html, and http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/04/nation-or-nations.html
7. A transcript of C. Peter Wagner’s remarks on this topic is posted here: http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/arise.html
8. See this description of the Gospel of Salvation versus the “gospel of the kingdom” that is being preached by this movement: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/02/gospel-of-kingdom.html
9. This comment has to do with Lou Engle’s odd prayer demeanor, which many have noticed, including this reference at http://www.joelstrumpet.com/?p=498: “Lou Engel is one of the admittedly weirdest and most unique individuals that I have ever met. When he speaks, he rocks back and forth like an Orthodox Jew at the Wailing Wall. His voice is like a grissly bear with a hoarse voice.”
10. Lou Engle is rising to fame. We wrote about him in conjunction with another controversial Washington, D.C. Mall event in August 2008: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/07/gods-dream.html , noting that “TheCall, an organization linked to Mike Bickle, Lou Engle and many other New Apostolic Reformation leaders, including many of the old “Kansas City Prophets.” But this is no fringe operation. TheCall and its personnel is interconnected with many mainstream evangelical organizations, including Campus Crusade for Christ.” Lou Engle’s association with Mike Bickle and the Kansas City Prophets is ongoing and current: http://www.elijahlist.com/words/display_word_pf.html?ID=8502 And his association with the radical heresy of the “New Breed” is still ongoing and current: http://www.elijahlist.com/words/display_word_pf.html?ID=7854 See this important booklet for historical and theological details on the significance of “Joel’s Army” and Dominionism: http://www.discernment-ministries.org/JoelsArmy1.htm and http://herescope.blogspot.com/2006/02/emergent-new-breed-leaders.html
11. See, for example, the article http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/election08/654/“the_call”_warns_of_antichrist_legislation_in_california_and_beyond/
12. See this article: http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/145796
13. Additional Chuck Norris documentation can be found in the booklet “My Life in ‘THE WAY’” by Gaylene Goodroad. See this information: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-life-in-way.html and scroll down to the bottom of the page to access her e-book: http://mylifeintheway.blogspot.com
14. See Chuck Norris’s article “I may run for president of Texas” posted at WorldNetDaily 3/9/10: www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=91103
15. Referring to a comment by Bill Berkowitz, a critic of Dominionism among the Right, where he said: “Imagine that, and you've just dreamed up the New Apostolic Reformation, the largest religious movement you've never heard of,” http://www.alternet.org/news/145796/, March 1, 2010, and “Heads Up: Prayer Warriors and Sarah Palin Are Organizing Spiritual Warfare to Take Over America.” http://www.alternet.org/story/145796/heads_up%3A_prayer_warriors_and_sarah_palin_are_organizing_spiritual_warfare_to_take_over_america_
16. All Dominionists are agreed on a common core theology that teaches that man can build “the kingdom of God on earth,” based on false eschatology the political, economic and social efforts of mankind will usher in the “Kingdom of God” and “King Jesus.” See this post for a further explanation: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/02/creating-heaven-on-earth.html See also this post: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2005/09/cor-and-compulsory-salvation-are-you.html which explains the Coalition on Revival, an organization that developed the “sphere documents” about how to take over American society. The Coalition on Revival was a key forerunner to the present-day merger of NAR and conservative Right political structures, and key documentation about its roots and agendas can be found in Al Dager’s historical book VENGEANCE IS OURS: THE CHURCH IN DOMINION available here: http://home.etcable.net/hestervanboven/Books.htm
17. See info at this website for the event: http://www.mayday2010.org/ and read a critical commentary summary here http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/subjects/may-day-2010 Dr. James Dobson promotes the event here: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/dobson-teams-porter-may-day-prayer-rally and here: http://f2a.org/mayday/Dobson_60_PSA.mp3
18. See Janet (Folger) Porter's radio website here: http://www.mayday2010.org/ and note that she is a regular columnist for WorldNetDaily here: http://www.faith2action.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=70&Itemid=150
19. Listen to the “New Apostolic Reformation” hyper-spiritual warfare prayer of Janet Porter on the video excerpt posted at this link: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/janet-porter-prays-control-over-media . This prayer took place at NAR “apostle” Cindy Jacob’s Generals International “Convergence 2010: A Cry to Awaken A Nation” conference held March 4-6 in Dallas, TX. Janet Porter’s prayer is an example of the “spheres” or “mountain” cultural mandate to take over the media, one of the first 7 spheres/gates/mountains targeted to be seized. Janet Porter’s extreme Dominionism has been noted by both concerned Christians and the Far Left: http://pjmiller.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/may-day-2010-dominionism-plus-another-manifesto/ and http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/porter-our-goal-take-dominion-every-area-and-occupy-until-jesus-comes
20. This is a reference to Janet Folger’s WorldNetDaily October 28, 2008 column "You cannot be a Christian and vote for Obama,” http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=79276 See also commentary on this from the Left at http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/vote-obama-go-hell
21. The Committee behind this event includes a list of who’s who on the Religious Right, including many political leaders, evangelical leaders, major organizations, AND significantly, key leaders of the New Apostolic Reformation. See http://www.mayday2010.org/ The point here is that by being part of this event, the NAR leaders, who were formerly consigned to the wacky fringe of the charismatic movement, are becoming mainstream by their high profile engagement with this May Day event. And these event organizers are apparently finding common ground with the Dominionism of the NAR leaders, a disturbing turn of events.
23. Apostolic Council of Prophetic Elders information is posted here: http://www.generals.org/prophetic/prophetic-words-reports/prophetic-single-view/article/what-is-the-apostolic-council-of-prophetic-elders/
24. Who are Chuck Pierce, Dutch Sheets and Cindy Jacobs? For those who don’t know these names, and may not understand why their presence at this event is so alarming, research their background, beliefs and practices here: http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/newapostolic.html and http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/thirdwaveteachings.html, and http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/narbook.html
26. See footnote 19 for documentation on this point.
27. The "Convergence 2010" conference was sponsored by Cindy Jacobs' United States Reformation Prayer Network (USRPN). Its speakers included: Peter Wagner, Lance Wallnau, Ed Silvoso, Janet Porter, Harry Jackson, Jaeson Ma, Thomas Hall, Jim Garlow, Cheryl Sacks, Jim Hennesy, Robert Madu, Mike Jacobs, Cindy Jacobs. This conference was part of an intriguing strategy called “ROOT 52” USRPN National Prayer Strategy, described as “a 52-week prayer strategy to bring the nation back to it's covenantal roots.” A letter to “Intercessors” from Cindy Jacobs dated 3/10/10 is cached here: http://tinyurl.com/yaazw6a The Elijah List, chief organ of the NAR, advertised the conference here: Http://www.elijahlist.com/words/display_word_pf.html?ID=8394.
28. Jim Garlow's bio is posted here: http://www.skylinechurch.org/skyline/?p=53 He is connected to Emergent Church leader and mystic Leonard Sweet. They recently participated together at the “North American Conference on Biblical Preaching,” a Global Pastors Conference sponsored by the Billion Soul Network, which has given the controversial Sweet a comfortable mainline evangelical home base. See http://www.preach.tv/ The program for this event indicates that this is heavy on mysticism, a key ingredient for building Dominionist fervor: http://www.preach.tv/index.php?page=program
29. The group’s website is http://www.torenewamerica.com/ . See this news account, “Newt Gingrich Steps Up Efforts to Mobilize Religious Conservatives,” by Dan Gilgoff, 3/20/09, U.S. News & World Report, http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/religion/2009/03/20/newt-gingrich-steps-up-efforts-to-mobilize-religious-conservatives.html and this press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/newt-gingrich-names-dr-jim-garlow-to-chair-renewing-american-leadership-87906477.html. Newt Gingrich, Jim Garlow, David Barton, Lance Wallnau, Bishop Harry Jackson, Mike Huckabee, political leaders, and a group of other key individuals supporting this May Day event, are taking “The Next Great Awakening Tour” focusing on Dominionism in America this summer, for a mere $3375 per person. (The much-prophesied “great outpouring of wealth had better happen quickly!) See: http://www.skylinechurch.org/images/NGAtourBrochure.pdf . Another significant player helping the New Apostolic Reformation to mainstream itself is Tony Perkins of Focus on Family, also on this tour. See this interesting history by critic Bill Berkowitz, "Will Religious Right’s ‘Mandate to Save America’ corral the Tea Party crowd?" 2/18/10: http://www.talk2action.org/story/2010/2/18/114135/151
30. See footnote 19. Note that Janet Porter apparently suggested to Alan Colmes on his radio program that this “footage of her prayer was obtained illegally and that Generals International is considering suing whoever obtained and posted the footage.” http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/janet-porter-defends-her-insanity. Other critical articles about Porter are archived here http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/subjects/may-day-2010
31. The video of Cindy Jacobs doing this is posted here: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/prophetic-intercession-future-religious-right. Note: this is the type of kooky stuff that comes out the NAR, thus illustrating the strange bedfellows who are now politically aligned.
32. Go to http://www.freedomfederation.org/content/summit. See this post for more details: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/print/5018
33. Lou Engle has risen to prominence as a key individual in this barrier-crossing Dominionism movement. His recent activities are summed up by critic Sarah Posner in an October 29,2008 article “'The Call' Warns of Antichrist Legislation in California and Beyond,” http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/election08/654/“the_call”_warns_of_antichrist_legislation_in_california_and_beyond/?page=entire. Janet (Folger) Porter interviewed Lou Engle on her January 7, 2010 radio show:
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-radio/episode.php?episodeid=15511 and http://www.worldviewweekend.com/~janetfolger/2010-01-06.mp3
34. For a peek at Rick Joyner’s vitriolic call for Dominionism, see this post: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2008/02/dread-champion-army.html
35. Hear Lance Wallnau describing his 7 Mountain Mandate at the video on this webpage: http://www.talk2action.org/story/2008/9/24/82239/9750/ To understand the myth about the “7 Mountain Mandate” originating from Bill Bright and Loren Cunningham, read this post: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2007/06/neo-kuyperian-spheres.html
36. Bishop Harry Jackson was called “the modern day Martin Luther King” at Cindy Jacobs' recent Convergence 2010” conference. See documentation here: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/harry-jackson-modern-day-martin-luther-king
37. Samuel Rodriguez can be seen here on this video footage posted at Rick Joyner’s Morning Star website. http://www.morningstarministries.org/Groups/1000049558/MorningStar_Ministries/Media/VIDEO_The_Oak/VIDEO_The_Oak.aspx He is part of Rick Joyner’s The Oak Initiative, http://www.theoakinitiative.org, as are others in this movement such as Lance Wallnau and Janet Porter: http://tinyurl.com/yhbtad6. Rodriguez, a Hispanic leader, is a frequent topic of discussion at the Right Wing Watch website: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/search/node/Samuel%20Rodriguez, even though he was one of the signers of the recent “A Covenant for Civility,” http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=action.display&item=100308-civility-covenant as is Bishop Harry Jackson. This is yet more evidence that the Dominionist movement is converging both Left and Right politically, despite the strong “Religious Right” rhetoric. See this Herescope post: http://herescope.blogspot.com/2010/03/covenant-for-civility.html
38. See Bill Berkowitz’s article at http://www.alternet.org/news/145796/, “Heads Up: Prayer Warriors and Sarah Palin Are Organizing Spiritual Warfare to Take Over America,” 3/1/10. Independent research has corroborated his account, and there are many reasons for concerns.
39. See footnote 36 and watch the video posted here http://www.morningstarministries.org/Groups/1000049558/MorningStar_Ministries/Media/VIDEO_The_Oak/VIDEO_The_Oak.aspx
40. See the Bill Berkowitz article cited at footnote 38, where he quotes NAR researcher Rachel Tabachnick: http://www.alternet.org/news/145796/
41. Jim Laffoon, “The Dark Underside of the Latter-Rain,” www.talk2action.org/story/2010/1/28/122133/576
This article is published with the permission of and in cooperation with Rev. Dr. Orrel Steinkamp, publisher of The Plumbline, Vol. 15, No. 3, May/June 2010. The Herescope posting of this article contains the addition of extensive documentation contributed by Dr. Steinkamp. This article has been reformatted and edited slightly for blog use.